Friday, May 28, 2010

Living in the London Limelight

The past week has been absolutely insane. And I mean that in every sense of the word!

After my trip to Wimbledon on Sunday, Monday was spent wrapping things up around the city that we have left until the end of the trip. We went in to turn in our papers at the FSU Centre, and then made our way to the discount clothing store Primark for one last quick run-through! I came away with a sundress, so it was worth the trip :) After shopping, we hopped on the Tube and made our way to Abbey Road Studios...famous from The Beatles album cover! We each tried to get a picture of ourselves walking across the street like on the cover, but it was very difficult! The intersection doesn't have a light, so we had to walk in front of traffic, and people were constantly walking both ways, making it difficult to take the picture! Here is the one I got though...


And that was just Monday.

Tuesday started off with a royal bang. And when I say royal, I mean it! We lined up bright and early in the morning to see the Queen make her way (complete with her crown jewels in a separate carriage) from Buckingham Palace to the ceremonial opening of Parliament! It was amazing to see her in person, and my pictures didn't come out so great but one of my friends got an excellent picture of her staring at the camera! Here it is:


It was just an amazing experience to have, AND it only happens every election year which comes along every 4 years. We have had great luck on this trip, that's for sure!

Wednesday we went to Kings Cross Station to try and catch a glimpse of the Harry Potter cast filming the Epilogue scene of the last movie! Unfortunately all we were able to see was the end of the train and a bunch of fake luggage stacked up...but it was cool to say I was there while they were filming! After that I headed to a Bollywood dance show called "The Merchants of Bollywood" and it was outstanding. I had seats in the second row, and left the theater wanting to dance all night long!

Thursday is when the insanity really set in. After classes, we headed to Leicester Square to try and catch a glimpse of the Sex and the City cast at the London premiere! We didn't manage to get into the actual red carpet area, but we found a spot where we could watch them come over a small bridge where interviewers stood before they walked into the theater. It ended up though, that it was a good thing we didn't get into the red carpet area, because we soon got a call from Nick, one of the kids on the trip with us, letting us know that he had 4 Black Eyed Peas tickets for the concert that night...for free.

Unfortunately, the four of us that decided to take the tickets didn't end up getting to see any celebrities at Sex and the City because we had to leave immediately to head to the O2 Arena...but we ended up having a FABULOUS night anyway. Nick's Dad was the one who got us the tickets, because he works with the sponsors that were working with the O2 Arena, so he was over here for a couple of days specifically for the concert. When we arrived at the arena, we found out they weren't just tickets, they were VIP passes onto the floor area, and then into the After Party!
Black Eyed Peas!

Our awesome spot on the floor, right as confetti started to fly!

We felt like celebrities. We danced all night to the Black Eyed Peas on the floor of the O2, about twenty feet away from the stage, and to top it all off, Tom Cruise hopped onto the stage at the end of the show.


TOM CRUISE!

The After Party was awesome too, and we got to see the BEP members up close and they even premiered a song to us that hadn't been released yet that is going to be in Tom Cruise's new movie! Two girls I was with got a hug from one of the BEP members, and I hopped into the picture with him! We danced until 1 am, and then finally headed back to the flat. It was an absolutely AMAZING night that I will never forget the rest of my life!

3 of us at the after party!

3 of us and Taboo from BEP!

All that, and then to top it all off, today I went to Stratford Upon Avon to see Shakespeare's birthplace and watched a really awesome performance of Romeo and Juliet! I have dreamed of seeing that play on stage, and it was just a surreal experience. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best day weather wise, and decided to pour down rain. This led to not a lot of pictures, and most of them came out blurry. But, I left there with memories in my head which is enough for me!

It's my last week here in London. I have mixed emotions. I'm sad because it's coming to an end...but I'm excited to move on to the next chapter of my life. I know I've learned so much while I've been here and I can honestly say I've changed in a lot of different ways. It's bittersweet that this blog is coming to an end...I've had fun keeping everyone updated, but I can't wait to see what will be blog-able next in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment