Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wimbledon!

Today I was brave and adventurous and decided to make the trip out of the city to Wimbledon! Yes, the place that the Wimbledon tennis tournament is played at every summer! I randomly came across it on a map on Friday, and made the split-second decision to book a tour and buy a train ticket...and I definitely don't regret it!

The trip there was a bit nerve-wracking though. Because it was Sunday and the weekend before a bank holiday, a lot of the underground lines were closed. This made my trip a little longer, maneuvering through two different station to get to Waterloo Station and the National Rail service I had to take. Once I got there, I found the train, and it was a smooth 20 minute ride out to Wimbledon. After I exited the station there though, was when things got complicated. I had written down in my planner that I needed to take bus 493. Unfortunately, the three bus stops that surrounded the station did not have 493 on their signs. After wandering around until 1 pm (the time I was supposed to BE THERE) and finally about to give up and ask in the station, I spotted a bus pulling around a corner that had 493 spelled out on the back. Unfortunately, I was two intersections away, and it left before I could get there. And with even more bad luck, the next one wasn't due for 10 minutes. By the time I boarded the bus, it was 1:20 pm, and my tour started at 1:30.

Finally, the bus lumbered up the hill and pulled up in front of the tennis center. I ran out, through the security check, and made it into the ticket line at 1:28pm. She gave me my sticker and receipt, and I managed to walk out right before the tour guide breezed in. I was sweating profusely at this point, but I was just relieved to be there. Now, I could actually enjoy being there and could soak up my surroundings.

The tour was excellent, and I was able to see Court No. 1, some smaller courts that are used in the opening week of the tournament, the Millennium Building where the members go, the press interview room, and then finally Centre Court! It was a surreal experience, and I hope I can go back one day when the tournament is going on. It had a magical feeling, and it was completely empty...I can only imagine what it would feel like all filled with people.

Here are some pictures:

I made it!!

Pretending to be hot stuff in the interview chair!

Centre Court!

Then I went into the museum, and saw a bunch of memorabilia and a cool movie about the tournament. I bought a poster and keychain, and hopped back onto the bus and trains to make my way back to London!

Here are some pictures from the museum:

So cool!

Old tennis dresses!

Andy Roddick quote on the wall!

The rest of my journey was smooth until I slipped on a step running to make the tube that was about to leave from the Baker Street Station. I bit it pretty hard, but somehow hopped back up and continued to run while a couple that helped me gather the stuff I dropped just watched in disbelief. Nothing gets in the way of me and my mission home!

It was an overall really enjoyable day, even with the slight speed bumps I encountered. I felt like a true London-er, navigating my way through the public transportation all by myself, and it made me realize how much I'm truly going to miss this place. I don't want to leave yet! It has just confirmed my hunch that I would love to live here someday on a more permanent basis. Now, I just have to find a PR firm that has an office over here :)

Less than two weeks left in London...let that depressing countdown begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment