Friday, March 12, 2010

Being a tourist already...


So, I must admit, today I was a complete tourist. And I'm not even in Europe yet.

We had the last meeting with the big group last night, where Patricia Pease, our program director, had a copy of a London travel book called DK Eyewitness Travel: London.

Today I went and bought that book before 10am. To make things even better, I sat on my small futon in my dorm room skimming through the entire book for a good hour.

Now, I know I will be living in London for 9 weeks...but there is the nagging sensation of needing to be in control that I just can't quite shake! I am always very detail-oriented, but that has never been clearer than after I was accepted into the program. I know that I will learn more from living in London than I can learn from a silly travel book but I still felt the need to buy it...and I will probably be reading it in my free time whenever I can!

I have come to the conclusion that I may very well be the most (over) prepared person on that plane to London! Maybe it's my way of staving off the anxiety that comes with the trip? Actually, that's not a maybe. It's a definite. By feeling prepared, I don't have to worry about the nerves that come with the unknown.

Even though I know a simple book can't prepare me, it's still going to give me a little more peace of mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment