Thursday, April 8, 2010

Am I Really In London?

I think it might have finally hit me tonight that I'm in London.

The day started out ordinary enough, with a trip to a large art supply store to get materials for the collage class I am enrolled in. It was quite a walk, and fortunately for me, I was able to relax in the flat while everyone else walked a mile in the opposite direction to get to class at 2. It just so happened it was the one class I didn't sign up for! It was nice to relax and shower at my leisure, so when everyone came back I was ready to head out and hit the town and watch some great British theatre.

Our first theatre experience was set for tonight, and we met our professors outside of the FSU Study Centre to walk to the London National Theater together.

As I walked through the British theater district, staring at the cute shops and elaborate theaters in awe, I thought to myself, "Wow. Am I really in London right now?"

We came to the National Theater and it was very modern looking on the outside. It holds three theaters, and we were lucky enough to see "London Assurance" in the Olivier Theater. "London Assurance" is a classic play that was written in 1841 by Dion Boucicault. While this sounds like it would be stuffy, it was the complete opposite. The two main characters Sir Harcourt and Lady Spanker almost had us all in tears as we laughed throughout the entire show. It seemed modern, and I was surprised to find how old it was. I would definitely recommend it, especially to people who love a good romantic comedy.

It was an especially great show, because two of the actors are famous in the US. The actor that played Lady Spanker is named Fiona Shaw and she plays Mrs. Dursley in all of the Harry Potter movies! Another actor known in the US was Mark Addy who played Max Harkaway and is best known for his roles in "A Knights Tale" and as the dad in the TV show "Still Standing" that was on CBS!

It was just an amazing show, and as we walked out into the surprisingly warm evening and looked to our left as we walked back over the Thames, I saw Big Ben, Parliament, and the London Eye all lit up. It was at that moment that I thought to myself, "Wow. I'm really in London."

And I plan to make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment