Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Horses, Hives, and Hyde Park!

(This was written on Wednesday, but due to video problems wasn't posted until Thursday)

Well, it's been a few days since I've updated, and there is A LOT to catch up on. Most of which has taken place today!

Tuesday we had art class at the British Museum. This is the oldest public museum in the world, and is very impressive. Due to time constraints we didn't make it through much of the exhibits, but we are definitely going to be heading back! I'll tell more about this museum after we explore it a bit more.

After classes on Tuesday, we went and bought some cd's that are only popular in England right now! So they count not only as new music, but also souvenirs! The cd prices over here are pretty reasonable, and we went a little crazy in the massive store!

Today, is where the real fun begins. Well, about half of it was fun. I'll start off with the bad...I was able to experience the British medical system today for my allergy shots that I am trying to keep up with while I'm away. This wasn't the bad part, in fact the overall experience was really easy and smooth. Unfortunately since it has been about a month since I've had a shot, my body wasn't so happy with getting injected today and I broke out in hives and gained a wheezing cough for about two hours after the appointment. Luckily, I had Benadryl on hand, and was able to get it under control relatively quickly. Now, while under a Benadryl-induced stupor, at least I know I'm not dying! There's nothing quite like panicking about breathing while in a foreign country. Hopefully this will be the first and last time it happens while I'm here!

Now, that was the bad. Don't worry, there was so much more good!

We woke up and headed toward Hyde Park around 10 am this morning to go and see the Queen's Birthday Salute! Every year there are cannons blown off in the park in honor of the queen and it is open to the public to view. We got there plenty early, and were able to get a pretty good spot in the open field right next to the ropes and the band!

After the band, came the horses! So many horses! They galloped at full speed toward the set up area pulling the cannons and ammunition. From there, everything was set up, and then came the rounds of firing that was absolutely unbelievable! Here's a link to a video I shot and put together on Youtube compiling all of the footage I got from the salute:


It was awesome, and I'm so glad we made it there! After that, we took a walk through Hyde Park and ran into some beautiful places, ending up with the famous Peter Pan statue! Here are some pictures of what we came across:


Beautiful walkway around the water.

Huge open grass area where Jenna and I decided to get some sun. A park worker came up to us demanding 1.50 and we decided it was more fun to LOOK at the chairs, not actually sit in them. At least we got a picture.

Myself and the famous Peter Pan statue!

Overall it was a really fun day, ignoring the allergic reaction and night filled with Benadryl! Tomorrow is full of classes, Friday has been set aside for shopping at discount shops to get some cute British clothing, and this weekend we may be heading for a day trip to Stonehenge! Nothing is set in stone though, so I will try to keep this blog updated as fast as I can throughout the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment