Thursday, April 29, 2010

So much to catch up on...

I've been MIA lately regarding this blog...and I have a lot to catch up on!

The last time I blogged I mentioned the festival for St. George's Day we attended, and that was almost a week ago! This week has been filled with fun, including my birthday!

Tuesday we had class at the National Gallery in the morning which was an amazing experience.

The National Gallery, right next to Trafalgar Square.

It is an enormous gallery that is filled with classic paintings by artists such as Van Gogh, Monet, and Degas. We had to make sketches of a variety of paintings and then come up with ways to represent them in our own ways. My final project for this week I've chosen to use a painting with three ballerinas by Edgar Degas, and change it to make a collage of three hip hop dancers with graffiti in the background cut out of newspapers and magazines. I think the longer I'm here, the more artsy I've become :)

After class, I went off on my own to wander around the British Museum for a second time. When we were there for class, we only had a little bit of time, and I wanted to go back to wander through some more exhibits between classes. Luckily, our classroom building is right down the street, so it was easy to do. While I was there, I came across the Rosetta Stone. It was crazy to see it in person...I remember learning about it in school. Here are some other pictures I took from the Egyptian, Roman, and Greek exhibitions:
The Rosetta Stone!





Inside of the British Museum.



Wednesday, was my birthday! We didn't do much during the day, but at night we went and saw a show by the music group "Tango Siempre". It was a really impressive show, filled with tango music, dancers and a singer. They were amazing musicians, and I was so intrigued by the dancers. The female wore exceptionally high heels and sparkly dresses, and by the end of the show I was dreaming of becoming a tango dancer. She was just THAT good.

After the show, we attempted to find a pub to say "cheers" at for my birthday, but it was getting late. We ended up buying a big brownie cake from the grocery store, and eating it back at the apartment. It was the perfect end to my 20th birthday in London. Being in London was the only present I needed, and I don't know how my birthday will ever be topped!

All of the girls after the show on my birthday!

Today, we spent the day in class, but tomorrow everyone is thinking of heading to the Tower of London to take a tour. I already did this with my family, but we weren't able to see everything, so I'm planning on going back with the group. Then on Monday we will possibly be taking a trip to Stonehenge! Now that I'm caught up on days, I will hopefully be able to keep up from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment