Friday, April 16, 2010

Sick in London

Well, we've been through being in London, learning in London, and now we've come to "Sick in London".

In my previous post I mentioned how I was either suffering from a major allergy attack or the onset of a cold. Seems I was correct with the cold hypothesis. Yesterday my ears were so full I had trouble hearing people speak, and by this morning my nose was completely stuffed up.

The good news? I'm in London.

I find myself not caring as much about being sick as I do when I'm home. We have so much to do, and we're constantly so busy walking from location to location all around the city I don't have have much time to think about how sick I feel. At home I have a tendency to focus on feeling sick, which only makes me feel worse. When it's only a cold, there is no point on dwelling on the obvious. I'm stuffy, I'm tired, I'm irritable. Get over it, kid.

Maybe it's part of the growing-up process I can see starting. I've already been forced to be more mature than I ever have had to be before. I'm cooking for myself. (Sure, there was the incident where I put a pizza in the oven on a piece of styrofoam because I thought that wasn't included on the 'remove all packaging' part of the instructions. And the time where I burned myself on a hot pan because I forgot it was just in 300 degree heat. But those are just minor setbacks.) I'm cleaning for myself. Finding my way around a foreign city. And now I'm dealing with being sick by myself.

Thank goodness it's just a cold, or I would have been calling home and complaining to my mom in a much shorter amount of time. At least this time I waited. A day...but still that's pretty impressive for me!

Besides my sickness, today was a really fun day. We had discussion about the play we saw the night before, called "The Real Thing". I wasn't too fond of this show, mostly because it was heavy on elaborate dialogue, and was kind of hard to follow. After discussion this morning though, I definitely appreciated it more as I saw how deep Tom Stoppard intended it to be when he wrote it. I also left with my first paper from the show last week with the words "Excellently written paper -Lincoln" on the bottom . No grade. I think I love taking classes in London.

We ate lunch after theatre class at a cute pub called St. Brides Tavern. The owner was adorable and I'm sure she loved having 7 of us handing her cash at the end of our meal! After the delicious meal Kristen and I headed off to the Tate Modern again to finish up our art assignment. We spent a good amount of time wandering through the galleries, and it was nice to actually appreciate the art at our own speed.

Here are some pictures I took in the museum:

"Waterlilies" by Claude Monet. I was in complete shock and awe to see this in person!

My favorite: "Almanac" by Robert Rauschenberg

Second favorite. I just loved the color and the message.

"Girl in a Chemise" by Pablo Picasso. Can't really believe I saw this in person!


Hopefully this weekend I can rest up, get healthy, and get ready for another great week in London! I've been busy booking trips online, and May is going to be a big month of traveling. May 7-9th I am jetting off to Rome, and then the weekend after that I will be in Paris. It still sounds like a dream to me, and I have to mentally give myself a pinch to constantly remind myself that this is my life.

More on my trips in coming posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment